Saturday, July 7, 2012

My Five Year Plan, if you call it a plan.

I am going to begin this blog, and what I have to say, with part of what God used to bring this to completion. It comes from David Platt's sermon on the Radical Abandonment that the Gospel demands of us.
Here is what he said (quote may not be exact as it is from memory)
Say you were a citizen of France, given the opportunity to go to America for one month. You were to stay in a hotel room for this time and work. You were told you can make AS MUCH money as you want during this month-limited only by the work you put it. The only rules were you couldn't take a single thing back on the plane. Nothing, no matter how small, but you could deposit your money back home in your bank in France.
Now, would you then, waste your money on fancy clothes, televisions, accessories, paintings, and other things to make you comfortable during that month? NO. ABSOLUTELY NOT. The very thought of this is pure foolish. 


And yet. This is life. Especially for us in America. We spend so much money on things we don't need, yet we are only here for a "month." Even if you live to be 100, which is possible, that  kind of time is vapor in comparison to eternity.


I feel this fact alone is enough to prove the point, but it isn't the only reason our style of living is wrong. When you consider then the needs of our world, it brings a whole new meaning. For example: the amount of money spent on specialty coffee in the US each year is 18 billion dollars. Apple is now worth more than 550,000,000 dollars (I own an iPhone). Every weekend new movies bring in 30 million dollars or more (some WAY more).


Don't get me confused, these things are not bad themselves (except coffee you know I think it's gross). But are they necessary, especially to the extent that we consume them (my question is certainly not limited to these three things)?
What if one week we gave up our coffee and movie weekend and donated it to someone in need? You might think, wow Michael that's maybe 35 dollars, if you're lucky. YES. That's exactly it. Your 35 dollars matters. Any gift that you give towards Christ's Kingdom matters! And if you did it, maybe someone else would, and then someone else. And then maybe you see Christ working in your sacrifice and give more. Don't underestimate what God can do with an obedient heart.


I did not expect any of that, I began this to say what is on my heart, and what I want to do, Lord willing, so I guess I should get to that. :)


For those who've followed for awhile, and those who know me, you know my heart for poverty-Africa in particular.
Well, the last few months I haven't had nearly the concern for others. In fact, I've become self-centered, especially with my finances. I thought simply because I had worked hard that I deserved to get nice things. HA. I don't deserve any good thing I have.
Anywho, today, God reminded me of the world's need and my responsibility-they are so connected.
For the next 5 and a half years (this is according to my plan, God may have to tweet it) I am dedicated to my country and profession. During this time I will fulfill my oath completely. During this time I will devote myself to others and to the study of God's Word. I will be frugal with everything in regards to myself. I will save money and spend all  my time. I will live with a war-like mindset, and John Piper likes to say. I will not be consumed by flash and glamour. And, if the Lord wills, when my commitment has been completely I will leave the United States and go to where my heart resides.
I will teach.
I will dig wells.
I will build homes.
I will love children.
I will share the Gospel.
I will spend my life establishing Christ's Kingdom.


I don't know how long I'll stay there-that is up to God.
I'll stay as long as He wants, and when He tells me to leave, I will go do the same thing somewhere else.


Please, consider how little worldly things matter. And how great  eternal things do.
If you must waste your life, and it will end someday, waste it  on things that will never end, rust,  break or perish.


I love you all.
This is for me, but I hope maybe you find encouragement for your life.
I pray that you will make Christ glorified where you are.
That's what I am doing.
It's what you should do.
I don't want to convince anyone to move or donate all their money.
I want to convince people that Christ is all-satisfying.
That He is worthy of everything.
That He is your joy-even if you don't know that.


Hoping to make a difference, knowing Christ will.
I love you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment