Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Prayer.and.Faith

Yesterday morning, as I was doing my usual morning read I read Mark chapter 11. It begins with Jesus' Triumphant Entry (One of my favorite events to imagine) and goes on to talk about a fig tree. Jesus curses it and then the very next day it's dead as a doorknob. The disciples are just amazed by this (even though they've seen Him feed thousands of people, heal blind people, and even His transfiguration. Silly disciples) But, this is not the point. After this Jesus tells them, "Have faith in God. I tell you the truth, you can say to this mountain, 'May you be lifted up and thrown into the sea,' and it will happen. But you must really believe it will happen and have no doubt in your heart. I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it will be yours. But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins too. Mark 11:22-26

So, yesterday evening I had a mountain in front of me. Someone I dearly care for had one, actually. They explained the situation to me and I instantly begin praying as I walked laps around the mall. Five minutes later they text me back to let me know it had been resolved. I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea. This wasn't a "the boy I like doesn't like me" problem. That is NO mountain. This was a "I have no money for gas or my kids lunch" problem.

Obviously I was overjoyed by God being so faithful, as He always is. But afterwards it really made me think about what I read this morning. What about the times I pray and it isn't granted?
Is it because I didn't have faith and doubted? Is it because I had refused to forgive someone?
Or was it just because God didn't want it to happen?

I realize that all three a possible individually and collectively.

But after yesterday I have made a decision that, to the best of my ability, I will never let the first two be the reason I'm denied a request.

I vow the minute I begin praying to look into my heart and forgive anything I have in my heart and to silence all doubt with the faithfulness and promises of God.

Imagine with me, if you will, the effectiveness of a prayer-life free of doubt and hatred of the heart. The entire Bible speaks of the power of righteous prayers. I want that.

I start today.

I love you all. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am reminded of something. Forgiveness is a two way street. It is not just forgiving those you have aught against, but also making amends with those who have aught against you. Sometimes, and I do mean some, they will not forgive us. We cannot control that.

    Often times, we (Christians) do not make best efforts to make amends and then expect God to accept that.

    Just food for thought.

    ReplyDelete