Friday, August 19, 2011

Life. It's just a vapor.

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that." James 4:13-15

Lately I've been thinking more about this.
The fact that I leave for basic in November has caused this increase, I do believe. I've been thinking about relationships (I am not talking about dating. Shesh). Sure, I wish while I'm gone I could pause time and then return and everything be the same, but that foolish. As bad as I hate to admit it, I know things won't be the same. You can't leave somewhere for 7 or more months and return to the same.
I realize that the closeness I have with many people will be lost or strained.
I hate thinking about this.
But, it has prompted me to move.
Think about it. The Bible tells us our entire life is but a vapor. We're talking 80-100 years. That's a vapor. Then what is a year or even a month.
Those things we convince ourselves we have time to do. Do we really?
Sure, it wouldn't hurt to apply this to schoolwork and such, but my real concern is the Gospel.
Time is scarce.
More than half the world is without the Gospel.
That's more than four billion people.
At least half of those have never even heard the Gospel we adore.
We do NOT have all the time in the world.
Time is not the only thing we have.
We must stop wasting time.
We must move.
We must act.
Radical abandonment.

with all the love I can muster,
Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment