Sunday, May 23, 2010

Read with caution

Yesterday, the 22nd day of May, was a special day for me. My best friend Mallorie was graduating from Mooreville so of course I had to travel to tupelo to support her. Also, the school that caused some conflict because of canceling prom over a girl wanting to bring her girlfriend to prom, was graduating as well. I had found in recent weeks that people from Westboro church were coming to protest with their signs and such. Because of the things God has worked in me recently, and because I would already be in tupelo, I wanted to go, but not for the same reason as most people. I knew some people were only coming because they didn't like the people of westboro telling them they can't be gay. But I know many people who claim the name of Jesus who wanted to go as well. To argue. Please, from this point on read carefully. I'm not judging anyone in this story, just telling what happened. Anyway, I did not want to go to fight or argue or curse either side. I wanted to go to show love. Perfect, blameless love that is given regardless of people's backgrounds, beliefs, circumstances and choices. I know that, by going to that graduation and mocking the people from westboro would not accomplish anything. It would not change their hearts or minds and it would only breed anger. So I set out just to show love. To everyone, regardless of whether or not they agreed with me. So when we showed up, which I can admit now, I was not ready for something this big. Definitely should have prepared with much more prayer time. Anyway, we show up and began walking towards the people and the closer I got the more uneasy I felt. I began to hear the things being said, yelled and sung. I started seeing the actions of those around and my heart began to break. In less than two minutes I had seen enough evil to completely break my spirit and cause me to tremble and cry like a small child among the crowd. And if you're reading this, you're probably going to assume the same thing almost everyone did when I told them. "Oh I'm so sorry those people from Westboro upset you." but if that's your thinking then you're wrong. I did not hear a single word the people on the other side said. I didn't even see a sign until I left and had to pass them. The people who broke my heart were the very people on the same side of the road as me. The ones claiming the name of Jesus. They sang songs such as Jesus Loves Me in a sarcastic manner showing that Jesus loved them because they are a Christian and not the people of Westboro. There was a man waving a huge american flag. Tons of military people, whom which received the greatest support from the people on our side. Now this is where I don't want you to get me wrong. I am in no way hating on our country or the people in our military. The reason this was heart-breaking to me was because the 'Christians' were all boasting and proclaiming our country and our military and NOT Jesus. There was not on a speck of love to be seen even though there were plenty of signs with the words. Walking into this felt like a war zone and not a place of love.

I'm not aruging whether the people of westboro are right or wrong. We all know what the Bible says. My point is there was NO ONE there showing love. All they wanted to do was scorn, mock and hate the people across the street.

If this is how we represent the LOVE of GOD, no wonder so many people refuse to accept Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment