Saturday, December 15, 2012

"I am a murderer. Wash me clean."

I do not pretend to know what it's like to lose a loved one by the hands of someone else.
I have no intention of saying I know how those people feel, because I do not. But I do know the gospel. And I do know God is good.

I am very disheartened by many words I've seen and heard in regards to this situation.
Yes, we should mourn the loss of the kids, absolutely.
But it's what has been said about the person who killed them that bothers me.

First off, lets establish this. God created humans in His likeness so to hate the image is to hate the original.
Easy. We know that this man had a heart full of evil- I don't believe I have to convince anyone of you of that. Therefore, you know that isn't my point.

But.
Let's get to it.
"You have heard that it was said to those of old,  "You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable  to judgment."    But I say to you that  everyone who is angry with his brother  will be liable  to judgment; whoever insults  his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, "You fool!" will be liable to  the hell  of fire. Matthew 5:21-22

Whoa. Did Jesus say the punishment for anger and murder are the same? Yep.
And if you read past that He also says the punishment for lust and adultery are the same too.
Is this unfair? Nope.
Why?

Because God isn't concerned with wha your vice is. Ultimately it is the same. From Adam and Eve eating fruit to politians lying to my selfishness and to this man who shot and killed children.
It is the same sin. It's an offense to God. It's choosing your will and desire over God's. It is worship of self.
For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft,  murder, adultery,    coveting, wickedness, deceit,  sensuality,  envy,  slander,  pride,  foolishness.    All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person." Mark 7:21-23

I pray that myself and all of you see our fallen position- that we realize how badly we need Christ because we ALL are evil and sinful and guilty before a perfect and holy and just and beautiful God.
You have nothing but the very thing He hates to offer to Him, yet He loves us:
 "but  God shows his love for us in that  while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

I pray for hearts full of repentance and dependency on God. And that through that, God would transform us and our love for people, especially those we see in most need of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment