Saturday, October 6, 2012

Questions to ask before marriage.

NOTICE: obviously some of the questions have much more detailed answers and when the need to answer these to the person I want to marry comes about she will hear the full answers to them. If you happen to read this, I don't know why, I would love to explain any belief I have further and give the Biblical truth by which I believe this truth (again my future wife will get this without asking) Anyway, you don't have to read this if you feel obligated. I just wanted to go through these questions because some of them I had never thought about and it's important to know where you stand.

Theology:

*What do you believe about...everything? I believe in the ONE true God. I believe in the trinity. I believe that Jesus is fully God. I believe the Holy Spirit is fully God. I believe that God created the earth and man perfectly to be in constant and perfect fellowship with Himself to worship and serve God. I believe that, through temptation from Satan, the woman and man both rebelled against God. They chose their own will over what God had commanded and thus became guilty before God. I believe that those two and every person to have walked the earth, and all who will, are endlessly hopeless and condemned to eternal separation apart from the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed by Christ to accept and endure the wrath of God on the behalf of all creation. I believe that if you chose to accept this Christ His righteousness will be imputed for you and you will once and for all be reconciled to God and thus stand innocent on the day of judgment. I believe that this is ONLY done as an act of faith and cannot be accomplished by any man’s work.
*Perhaps read through the Desiring God Affirmation of Faith to see where each other is on various biblical doctrines.
*Discover how you form your views. What is the reasoning-believing process? How do you handle the Bible? I answered most of this in the first question, but to address the Bible more specifically, I believe that the Bible is the absolute Word of God and should be treated as such. I believe we should read and memorize, study and apply, share and teach.

Worship and Devotion:
*How important is corporate worship? Other participation in church life? Corporate worship is not an option, but a commandment. I believe that service, in the capacity you have been given, is also a commandment.
*How important is it to be part of a small accountability/support group? Necessary. I will not join a church that doesn’t have small groups because they and the confession and accountability that come from them are a commandment and needed to experience growth and to stay on the path of pursing righteousness.
*What is the importance of music in life and worship? Music in general and in worship is important. I do not believe it is required for worship, but I do believe it is an outlet in which we CAN worship. Romans 12:1 tells us that our lives themselves are worship and sacrifice, therefore anything we do that isn’t sin can and should be worship.
*What are your daily personal devotional practices? Prayer, reading, meditation, memorization. I like to start and end my day with reading and prayer. I believe that study should be a part of your daily schedule- not just reading.
*What would our family devotions look like? Who leads out in this? Family devotions would be our whole family. We would all participate and it would happen everyday. We can sing and we WILL read and pray. We will not avoid certain stories in the Bible. We will teach in the capacity our kids are old enough to understand. We will encourage them to read on their own as we do. We would ask tough questions and answer them as well. I, being the man, would be the leader, but certainly not the only speaker, in this.
*Are we doing this now in an appropriate way: praying together about our lives and future, reading the Bible together?

Husband and Wife:
*What is the meaning of headship and submission in the Bible and in our marriage? I believe this puts me in not only a place of great leadership but also great responsibility. I am held accountable for my family and their lives. I believe it is up to me to lead the family in the direction that God wants us to take. I believe that the woman is to be submissive and the husband to serve and honor his wife. Notice that I said the husband should serve his wife. The leadership role of a husband doesn’t make him a dictator. Like a good boss who is willing and will complete the task he asks or expects of his helpers, a husband should joyfully serve his wife and the wife her husband.
*What are expectations about situations where one of you might be alone with someone of the opposite sex? This should be avoided at all costs. It has nothing to do with trust and everything to do with being responsible and avoiding giving sin an occasion, which is biblical.
*How are tasks shared in the home: cleaning, cooking, washing dishes, yard work, car upkeep, repairs, shopping for food, and household stuff? Mutual. Obviously there will be tasks each of us prefer doing and likely do more often, that is okay. Yard work, repairs, and hard labor are reserved for the male (unless my wife enjoys those things in which case she is free to do or help in). I would like, when possible to do most chores, especially grocery shopping together.
*What are the expectations for togetherness? I believe we should be together. I don’t like the idea of being separate for long periods of time (I realize being in the military might cause problems from time to time). I believe that we should do things we enjoy, together. I believe we should encourage and build one another up. I believe the purpose of our relationship is the same as person’s –to worship and glorify God.
*What is an ideal non-special evening? There is no such thing. There are only nights that are extra special.
*How do you understand who and how often sex is initiated? This one is tricky. I don’t really know how to answer it. I believe it should ALWAYS be mutual, obviously. And there are no rules on how often. That is one of the beautiful things about marriage.
*Who does the checkbook—or are there two? There are not two checkbooks, in the sense that we have accounts that are just ours. Two people become one in marriage. Mine is yours. Yours is mine. I believe finances should be discussed and more importantly prayed over and in the event of a decision, because I am the leader, final say comes to me, but that doesn’t give the right to abuse that power to get my way, ever.

Children:
*If and when, should we have children? Why? TONS. Lord willing.
*How many? Oh…. TONS.
*How far apart? I don’t have a set standard, but it should be far enough apart as to not overwhelm us.
*Would we consider adoption? MANDATORY.
*What are the standards of behavior? Our children shall act like children of God. Obviously they will not be perfect, but they will respect all people, especially adults. The will not throw fits to get their way because that behavior will not be tolerated nor will we give in and teach them mentally that throwing a fit is a way to get what you want. We will be involved in their personal lives. We will monitor them closely. We will set standards and keep the ones we set before them (minus ones that we are free from because of marriage. Yes I’m talking about SEX).
*What are the appropriate ways to discipline them? How many strikes before they’re...whatever? Physical, within reason. I say three strikes is plenty. I also believe that taking away privileges is a wonderful means at getting kids attention. I believe that punishment should be agreed upon by mother and father.
*What are the expectations of time spent with them and when they go to bed? I believe we should always be intentional with the time spent with our kids. Phones will be off limits during times of eating and nightly devotionals. I believe bed time is directly tied to their age.
*What signs of affection will you show them? This too is crucial. I believe kisses are always in order. I vow to kiss my children goodnight and before I or they leave everyday. I believe we should tell them we love them, regardless of age. I believe we should do things that show we care and love them and understand them.
*What about school? Home school? Christian school? Public school? I was public school my entire life. I am not huge on home school. I would be more than willing to pay for a Christian school provided they teach the true doctrine, the leaders live it out, they were not allowed to be rambunctious (starts at home first) and we could afford it.

Lifestyle:
*Own a home or not? Why? I believe in buying simply because renting is spending money without truly earning something and I do not see it as spending God’s money the best.
*What kind of neighborhood? Why? Safe.
*How many cars? New? Used? As many as needed at the time. Never brand new, unless the deal is unbeatable; nothing overly fancy or more than we need, but my wife’s car WILL be reliable and sound.
*View of money in general. How much to the church? All of the money is God’s. Tithe 10% and give as God directs more.
*How do you make money decisions? Prayer.
*Where will you buy clothes: Department store? Thrift store? In between? Why? Both. All will be in good condition though. Never soiled or filled with holes.

Entertainment:
*How much money should we spend on entertainment? I dare never to say that entertainment should never happen, but it should be within reason and never excessive. As I said, it’s God’s money and I don’t want to be the one to waste it all foolishly on my own fancies.
*How often should we eat out? Where? Seldom. I prefer cooking together. But when the occasion rises, where she likes. Never Mcdonald’s.
*What kind of vacations are appropriate and helpful for us? Ones we CAN afford. Ones that give us an opportunity to relax and get away from the normal routine, but an opportunity to serve and worship God should not be excluded.
*How many toys? Snowmobile, boat, cabin? Eh. Haven’t I talked about my view of money enough? These things, though they aren’t evil, seem unnecessary-at least to own. I am not opposed to renting or sharing them.
*Should we have a television? Where? What is fitting to watch? How much? I am okay with one tv. In the den or living room. Only things that do not oppose our Christian faith. But still very minimal.
*What are the criteria for movies and theater? What will our guidelines be for the kids? If we won’t let our kids watch it we shouldn’t ( if the reason is for moral causes).

Conflict:
*What makes you angry? Lying.
*How do you handle your frustration or anger? I usually run.
*Who should bring up an issue that is bothersome? Both or whomever is bothered.
*What if we disagree both about what should be done, and whether it is serious? We shall mule over it until the situation is resolved. No issues will ever be ignored or swept under the rug.
*Will we go to bed angry at each other? Never. Because we will pray together before bed every night.
*What is our view of getting help from friends or counselors? Small groups? Accountability? Of course!

Work:
*Who is the main breadwinner? Husband.
*Should the wife work outside the home? Before kids? With kids at home? After kids? If she wants/ we need for all three. I am completely okay with her staying at home.
*What are your views of daycare for children? The same as school. Christian in affiliation and action, reasonable.
*What determines where you will locate? Job? Whose job? Church? Family? God. Church. Uncle sam, for some time.

Friends:
*Is it good to do things with friends but without spouse? It can be, but only friends of the same gender and only if it is morally sound. If people of the opposite gender are involved the spouse should be there.
*What will you do if one of you really likes to hang out with so and so and the other doesn’t? We will come to an agreement based on the criteria above, or cut the time with that person.

Health and Sickness:
*Do you have, or have you had any, sicknesses or physical problems that could affect our relationship? (Allergies, cancer, eating disorders, venereal disease, etc.) NOPE.
*Do you believe in divine healing and how would prayer relate to medical attention? Yes. God is trusted first and foremost with  the matters of life, but medicine is a gift. Though I do not believe in taking medicines every day under normal circumstances.
*How do you think about exercise and healthy eating? The body is a temple. It should be kept clean and healthy.
*Do you have any habits that adversely affect health? Nope.

No comments:

Post a Comment